Winter festivals in Atlanta are just the beginning of outdoor holiday festivities. Whether you are a long distance runner or someone who, say, likes to raise money for a good cause by hitting the street in your undies, Atlanta has a running (or walking) (or wobbling) event just for you.
- Atlanta Track Club Resolution Run. Jan. 1 at 10 a.m. Start the new year by getting the family moving. This fun run features a 5K for those age 8 and older; a one mile run for those 6 and older; and a 50m dash for those 6 and younger. Piedmont Park.
- Atlanta Track Club Extra Yard 5K. Jan. 7 at 8 a.m. The official road race of the College Football Playoff, this 5K benefits the Extra Yard Foundation’s platform, which elevates the teaching profession. The top male and female finishers receive two tickets each to the College Football Playoff National Championship in Atlanta. Swag for finishers includes a long sleeve Mizuno shirt, a ticket to Fan Central and a medal. Registration includes two tickets to Playoff Central, a participant shirt, finisher's medal and entry into a drawing for game tickets. International Plaza, Downtown.
- MLK Race for the Dream Marathon (7 a.m.), Half Marathon (7 a.m.) and 20-Mile Bike Tour (6:30 a.m.) Jan. 14. All finishers receive a medal. There will be a finish line festival with music, post-race fuel and awards program. Booker T. Washington High School, 45 Whitehouse Drive.
- MLK 5K Drum Run. Jan. 15 at 8 a.m. Runners celebrate MLK Day to the beat of a 3.1-mile drumline. Piedmont Park.
- Atlanta Track Club’s Atlanta Hawks Fast Break 5K presented by Sharecare. Jan. 27 at 8 a.m. Look for Harry the Hawk, the Flight Crew and Atlanta Hawks cheerleaders. Swag includes a long sleeve Mizuno shirt, Hawks winter scarf (limited number available), $25 voucher to use for a Hawks game, free race parking and a $10 food voucher. Philips Arena.
- Atlanta Track Club Hearts & Soles 5K. Feb. 10 at 8:15 a.m. Wheelchair athletes welcome. Georgia State University/Perimeter College, 3251 Panthersville Road, Decatur.
- Cupid’s Undie Run. Feb. 24. Check in at noon, short race at 2 p.m. This crazy (Yes, wear your underwear.) fun run benefits the Children’s Tumor Foundation. Big Sky at 3201 Cains Hill Place NW.
- Atlanta Community Food Bank’s Hunger Walk Run. Feb. 25. Registration at noon. Race begins at 2 p.m. Funds raised help stock food pantries. Georgia World Congress Center.
- Atlanta Track Club’s 2018 Publix Georgia Marathon/Half Marathon/5K. March 18 at 7 a.m. Swag includes long and short-sleeve Mizuno shirts and medals. Atlanta.
Carol Carter writes and edits for Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau.