Atlanta has a hotel for every person’s style and budget actually, lots of them. Several hotels have opened in the city — or been rebranded — and more are on the way. Here are some of the latest hotel offerings in Atlanta.
Twofer. What’s better than one fabulous new hotel? Two fabulous new hotels combined. Yes, the first combination of the AC Hotels by Marriott and Moxy Hotels under one roof recently opened. Developed on an entire city block near Georgia Tech, the hotels share a rooftop space with a pool, cabanas and bar along with meeting space, health and fitness facilities and an outdoor entertainment area with fire pits. The High Note Rooftop bar is open for business with the NOW bar open for all meals. But these are two separate and distinct hotels:
- Facing 14th Street, the European-inspired AC Hotel Midtown has 133 rooms, and the hotel’s refined interior color palette is perfect for showcasing a curated selection of local artwork. Guests can enjoy shareable plates and signature cocktails at the AC Lounge.
- The Moxy Hotel Atlanta Midtown, which faces 13th Street, offers a boutique experience with a lot of fun thrown in for good measure. Guests checking into any of the 155 rooms are first greeted at the bar with their room key and a complimentary cocktail.
Reincarnation. Hotel Clermont, formerly known as the Clermont Hotel (which was best known for the Clermont Lounge in the basement), returned to its original glory, and the 94-room boutique hotel has been getting rave reviews from guests and travel publications around the world. Located on Ponce de Leon Avenue, the "new" hotel lets guests enjoy great skyline views from the rooftop bar and have a meal in its signature restaurant, Tiny Lou’s.
Under the Canopy. The Canopy by Hilton, located on West Peachtree Street, opened in late 2018 and offers guests thoughtfully curated local experiences from check-in to check-out. Guests can grab a complimentary bike and explore Midtown or enjoy the interior rooms that feature local textiles and artwork. Exhibit Studio Kitchen & Bar delivers authentic cuisine made from local ingredients such as Southern buttermilk pie and shrimp and grits. At Canopy Center, guests can unwind with nightly tastings of locally sourced brews, wine and spirits.
New Name. Solis Two Porsche Drive opened in 2017 next to Porsche USA’s headquarters and the Porsche Experience Center, just south of the airport. The hotel features 214 guest rooms, including 18 executive suites, nine track-view suites and one presidential suite. This year the hotel changed management groups and is now know as the Kimpton Overland Hotel.
Waldorf in the A. The Mandarin Oriental Atlanta was re-opened in late 2018 as a Waldorf Astoria. The hotel has 127 rooms with 10 suites plus a spa and meeting space.
It's Hip. The Renaissance Atlanta Midtown, located on West Peachtree Street, underwent a major renovation and emerged as a hip, visually stimulating hotel with new lobby, meeting rooms, fitness center and guest rooms. The new lobby opened up to be inclusive of the Community Smith restaurant.
New Name for Old Standard. The downtown DoubleTree by Hilton was rebranded The American Hotel and offers 315 guest rooms and suites and offers a boutique feel with 1960s' replica mini-fridges. The hotel, which was originally built in 1962, has hosted many world leaders and stars including Elvis Presley, Martin Luther King Jr., Aretha Franklin and President Jimmy Carter. It was also the first integrated hotel in Downtown Atlanta.
More to Come.
- Opening in 2019 is a four-star, 300-room InterContinental Hotel adjacent to the airport's main domestic terminal and MARTA station.
- Hilton Worldwide announced the landmark Beaux-Arts Candler building will open the Candler Hotel Atlanta Curio Collection by Hilton in the summer of 2019. The boutique-style hotel will have 265 guest rooms and suites as well as 6,000 square feet of meeting space, right in the heart of Downtown Atlanta on Peachtree Street.
- Also opening this year will be the SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences located two blocks from Piedmont Park. The hotel will have 213 rooms and 56 condominiums.
- After years of serving as housing for college students, the Ponce Student Suites will open as a 112-key hotel with a bar and restaurant on Ponce de Leon Avenue. In addition to the 1930s' two-story building, a five-story addition is projected to open next year.
- There is much anticipation for the Nobu Hotel, which will open next to Phipps Plaza next year. The hotel will feature 150 rooms, a rooftop pool and Nobu Atlanta, which is known worldwide for its signature-style Japanese cuisine.
For more information about Atlanta hotels, check here.
Journalist Mary Welch writes business and lifestyle stories for local and national publications.