Whether you're into competitive gaming, cosplay or are an anime fan (or simply tagging along with someone who is) chances are you are going to be in town for MomoCon from May 23 through 26. MomoCon packs 400 hours of panels and events into four days at the Georgia World Congress Center.
But is your pre-Con checklist complete? Here are eight pro tips for the long weekend.
1. Is MomoCon primarily for kids or adults? All of the above. The event is open to all and has programming for all ages. It runs 24 hours beginning Thursday afternoon and ending Sunday evening. There will be hands-on workshops, martial arts demos, open cosplay and the biggest gaming hall in the Southeast.
2. Have a plan for parking and transportation? Whether you are staying in a Downtown hotel or commuting in from further out, consider taking MARTA so that parking is a non-issue. If you need a parking spot, be sure to prepurchase a pass for the GWCC's Red Deck or Parking Panda reservations at the MomoCon site. If you need more transportation methods while you're here, peruse our Getting Around Atlanta guide.
3. Are there any bag restrictions at GWCC? Generally, no. The main exception is the Saturday night rave, which does not permit bags of any kind (except for medical needs). All that luggage will just get in the way of your floss dance, anyway.
4. Are photos OK? Absolutely. With the exception of select panels like screenings and world premieres (in which case they will let you know ahead of time), taking photos is allowed and encouraged. The MomoCon site even has a guide to fan photo shoots and submissions. So go nuts, and do it for the 'gram. (Pretty sure that's what the kids say.) And speaking of devices....
5. Will your phone battery survive? There will be a "Handheld Lounge" with limited charging capacity, but beyond that, you are on your own for battery juice. A portable charger may not be a bad idea.
6. Need a place to eat? Outside of what's available on premises, Atlanta has plenty of nearby dining options conveniently located near the GWCC.
7. Can I watch parts of the convention online? MomoCon has multiple Twitch channels streaming panels, exhibits, game demos and more.
8. What else should we do while we're in Atlanta? Oof, where to start? Here's help, no matter if you are looking for the city's top attractions, kid-friendly things to do, fun gamer bars (because we believe Twitch streamers and otaku deserve a nightlife, too), rainy day plans if the weather puts up a fight or even mini-itineraries if you're only in Atlanta for 24 hours.
From the career fair (Hi-Rez Studios! Tripwire Interactive!) to the concerts (Live Performance AMVs! Final Fantasy!) to the voice actor panels and gaming, we know you'll be busy (in a good way) at the biggest MomoCon yet.
Tommy Stubblefield manages the ATL Insider Blog and social media for Atlanta.net and volunteers to cover the #NerdySouth with suspicious enthusiasm. All photos courtesy of MomoCon.
Originally published in 2018 on Atlanta.net.