You've got the ring, you've found “the one,” but the proposal is leaving you a little lost? Hint: Stay away from the same old tired dinner proposal or billboard proposal at a sports event. Atlanta offers some unique places and ways to get engaged that will make the perfect story. Here are some great ideas to make sure this will be a story you’ll love to tell (and have to tell) again and again.
(Photo: Gray Hauser)
1. Sky high above the city – Make the love of your life feel like a star in a movie with this ultimate rooftop proposal. Whisk your beloved up in a helicopter ride then land on the helipad at Ventanas for an amazing city skyline backdrop proposal. Walk on down to the event space where there is an exclusive outdoor deck with bar, fire pits and plenty of luxury seating for a great party with friends or family. This proposal is sure not to disappoint. Not a fan of helicopters? You can rent out this beautiful space helicopter or not.
2. In a garden of dreams – For the person who appreciates when you bring home flowers why not go to the ultimate playground of flora and fauna, the Atlanta Botanical Garden? The natural beauty of the garden within will certainly be implanted in your memories for years to come. There are plenty of picturesque spots, ranging from little coves for a private moment to grand areas if you want to have a crowd join in the excitement. (Are flash mobs still a thing?) Bonus: This is a great place for snapping engagement pictures.
(Photo: Katie Bricker Photography)
3. Utilize a little or big slice of the city – Any Atlanta-loving future fiancée or fiancé will be giddy over this proposal. The Atlanta BeltLine has plenty great ways for you to propose and make it your own. Put a ring on it in front of stunning street art, at a brewery or at any of a bevy of beautiful locations in Piedmont Park. With miles of unique and memorable locales along the BeltLine you'll find the perfect spot. You could even have a little scavenger hunt or invite some special guests to join you along the way with messages for your true love. Afterward, there are plenty amazing high-end or low-key food choices on the BeltLine where you can eat, drink and celebrate by yourselves or with family and friends.
4. Take your sweetheart's breath away – Stone Mountain Park promises views that will be as breathtaking as the ring. Hike up a trail together or take the easy way by hopping aboard the Summit Skyride. Drop onto one knee at sunset on top of the mountain or by the lake. Want to go the extra mile? Hire a drone crew to film it from above. If it’s a nature lover you’ve fallen for you will definitely get a solid "yes" with this outdoorsy proposal. Bonus points: A few minutes away are some of Atlanta's best-rated restaurants in downtown Decatur for that celebratory meal.
5. Start your future with a little trip to the past – Pop the question in grand style in front of the amazing staircase in the gardens of the Atlanta History Center's Swan House after viewing exhibits inside the center (a smart way to keep the proposal a surprise). The Swan House does weddings and other events regularly, so helping you plan a proposal is second nature to them. Book a brunch reservation for before or after the proposal to add to this fairy-tale moment.
6. Take your love under the sea – There are so many memorable ways to propose in this out-of-the box and totally unexpected proposal spot. Call ahead to Georgia Aquarium and arrange to have a dolphin bring a special buoy to your intended or a diver hold up a sign professing your love behind a 23 by 61 feet viewing window. No matter where in the aquarium you choose, you'll be surrounded by your underwater friends and feel like you proposed in the middle of the ocean.
Regardless of where you decide to pop the question Atlanta has the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable proposal. What are you waiting for?
Courtney Bigum is a marketing professional and Atlanta local always looking for new and exciting ways to explore the city. There is never a weekend an adventure doesn't find her.