If you’re tired of the treadmill and ready to get some exercise outside, Atlanta has you covered. Here are five great running and walking trails in the city.
1. The BeltLine Eastside Trail. The Eastside Trail stretches slightly more than two miles between Piedmont Park and Inman Park. As its name implies, it runs along the east side of Atlanta, offering spectacular skyline views. Its southern end lies in the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. On the south side of Freedom Parkway, you can also connect to the Stone Mountain Trail, which provides access to numerous cultural attractions.
2. Chastain Park. Known for its beautiful residential neighborhood and outdoor concert amphitheater, Chastain is also well-known for its abundant paved, color-coded trails looping through the park’s rolling landscape. One of the most popular running and walking trails in Atlanta, Chastain Park is tucked off Roswell Road in Buckhead, a short drive or moderate bike ride from Midtown and Downtown Atlanta.
3. Stone Mountain Trail. The Stone Mountain Trail begins at Piedmont Avenue in downtown Atlanta and ends at Stone Mountain affording access to Stone Mountain Park. The 19-mile-long trail does require on-street travel for almost 4 miles, in Candler Park and through Clarkston.
4. The Freedom Path. Beginning at The Carter Center, this trek wends around the 35-acre Freedom Park. The grounds include formal gardens, a wildflower meadow, a cherry orchard and waterfalls tucked between two small lakes.
5. Piedmont Park. Atlanta’s signature park, located in the heart of Midtown, offers a plethora of paths and trails. The 189-acre park offers great views of the Midtown and Downtown skylines and connects with the BeltLine’s Eastside trail.
A former college golfer and sports reporter, Chris Kazakos brought with him a love for all sports when he moved to Atlanta from his native Florida Panhandle in 2006. Today he is an ardent follower of all major Atlanta sports teams and events. Besides local sports venues and golf courses, you can find Kazakos at one of the many restaurants, concerts, museums and festivals this great city has to offer. Follow Kazakos on Twitter and Instagram @ChrisKazakos.