Holiday season is just around the corner and that means chilly weather, football, and lots and lots of food. It’s not uncommon for a diet to be blown to bits in the face of glazed hams, sweet potato pies, stuffing, collard greens and gravy-soaked cornbread. (This is the South: We know how to do Southern country feasts.)
In spite of all of the above, if you’d like to still be able to fit into your clothes after the holiday season – ahem – without having to sew in new elastic waistbands, heed a few of these ideas to keep yourself active and burning calories.
- The best way to beat holiday pounds is to resist putting them on in the first place. Exercise moderation as you indulge; don’t let your eyes be bigger than your stomach.
- Take a few hikes through some of Atlanta’s many trails.
- Go vertical with indoor rock climbing.
- Two wheel it by enjoying Atlanta biking trails.
- Pop into a fitness center regularly, whether it’s the gym, yoga studio or outdoor fit camp.
- Try an unusual sport, like roller derby or fencing.
- Get a buddy, walk around your neighborhood and hold each other accountable. (Keep each other from ringing in the new year with holiday pounds of regret.)
- Get involved in a fun winter sport like kickball.
- Take the family on a walking tour, like the Atlanta BeltLine Arboretum Walking Tour. Or knock out some calories while on your feet at the Atlanta History Center or the King Center, and learn a little.
- And lastly, a perennial favorite: play a few games of flag football.
Beth Clark is a writer and foodie who loves to roam around Atlanta, uncovering the city's quirky, glam, upscale and down-home character. Curiosity is her compass, and you'll find her writing on www.thecitydweller.me.