As the seasons change and breezes begin to feel more warmly refreshing (rather than just cold and sharp), Atlantans seem to make a beeline for restaurants and bars that have excellent patio seating. And with good reason. Food tastes better out there, as do drinks. So check out this list below for a few options found in various neighborhoods, and get ready to usher in spring.
- Barcelona Wine Bar has a wraparound patio out front where you can enjoy the weather, people watch and work your way through a beverage menu that includes upwards of 300 wines. Inman Park and Westside.
- Cypress Street Pint & Plate is home to the famous Sublime Burger (a.k.a., a burger in between two frosted doughnuts as buns), and you can enjoy it (it’s surprisingly tasty) and a slew of other menu items and beverages on their foliage-fringed patio. Midtown.
- Diesel Filling Station not only has a great patio, but it often hosts fun events (think "The Walking Dead" viewing parties or Texas Hold ‘Em nights) that give the place a very local, social, friendly vibe. And Diesel has more than 50 kinds of beer available. Virginia-Highland.
- Gypsy Kitchen offers excellent rooftop views right in the heart of the Shops Buckhead Atlanta. Though the modern Spanish cuisine menu is awesome, it’s the bar scene that most people rave about, as well as the large chic patio. Buckhead.
- Joe's on Juniper is located a few blocks from Piedmont Park and is popular for a sassy wait staff, stiff drinks, fun trivia nights and excellent outdoor seating. Midtown
- Ladybird Grove & Mess Hall has a prime location along the BeltLine's Eastside Trail, and this outdoor-oriented bar and restaurant offers the perfect spot to enjoy an apre-work cocktail or two. Old Fourth Ward.
- Loca Luna is tucked away on Amsterdam Walk, but it is well worth the visit for the patio, the music, and live samba, salsa and merengue dancing, not to mention the food. Midtown.
- Midway Pub is a great Eastside spot to go watch a game, play bocce or corn hole and catch up with friends, especially on the dog-friendly patio. East Atlanta.
- No Más! Cantina is filled with artisan-crafted, Mexican-inspired decor and boasts a flavor-packed menu that just might make you forget you’re in Atlanta, especially when a cocktail or two kicks in. It’s cool; just relax on the patio and enjoy. Castleberry Hill.
- Park Tavern is located where the Eastside Trail meets Piedmont Park, and not only does it have plenty of indoor and (climate controlled) outdoor seating, it’s also known to feature tons of live music, making it a great place to enjoy a drink and catch some tunes. Midtown.
- Six Feet Under has two locations that each have rooftop decks that offer beautiful views of their respective neighborhoods, whether Grant Park or West Midtown.
- TAP occupies the corner of Peachtree and 14th streets, within a stone’s throw of the Woodruff Arts Center, the High Museum of Art, Colony Square, the W and Loew’s Hotels, and myriad other hot spots. Its tree-covered patio is the perfect spot to grab a drink between events. Midtown.
Why stop there? Plan an outdoor date around Atlanta before you head outside for drinks on the patio.
Beth Clark is a writer and foodie who loves to roam around Atlanta, uncovering the city's quirky, glam, upscale and down-home character. Curiosity is her compass, and you'll find her writing on www.thecitydweller.me.