Sometimes you just want a drink and some nice food. Well, actually, maybe more than sometimes. But, you want to find a bar where the food is equal to the atmosphere and what’s on tap. Here are seven of our favorite bars with great food.
- Gibney’s Pub. Located in Peachtree Center, Gibney’s Pub has been dishing out drinks and pub fare to locals, office workers and conventioneers since 1997. In addition to regular offerings such as burgers, chili cheese fries and wings, Gibney’s stays true to its roots and offers shepherd’s pie and fish and chips.
- North Highland Pub. Located in Inman Park, near downtown, the North Highland Pub has been serving great food and drinks for more than 20 years. Among the favorite menu items are calamari, nachos grande, blackened chicken Alfredo and country fried chicken. Taco Tuesdays are also a big hit as is Sunday’s Hangover Cure. Of course, there also is a robust burger menu.
- Highland Tap. Located in Virginia-Highland, the Highland Tap claims to be the city’s “premiere subterranean hide-away,” and we won’t argue with that. It is dimly lit, warm and maintains clubby atmosphere of authenticity. The Tap serves a great brunch with traditional eggs Benedict and a veggie Benedict, but for something a little later in the day, try the escargot, pimento cheese or prime rib. The martinis are among the best in town.
- Ormsby’s. A classic neighborhood tavern on Atlanta’s Westside, Ormbsy’s is a welcoming bar that features extensive craft beers and cocktails and a fresh pub menu. Some of the favorites include flank steak Caesar salad, bangers and mash, stout braised bratwurst, shrimp and grits, and fish tacos. If you want to work off some of the calories, Ormsby’s has a variety of fun games including bocce, pool, shuffleboard and darts.
- Wrecking Bar. It used to be a 20th-century Victorian-style home, a Methodist church, dance studio and an architectural antiques store, but fans of the Wrecking Bar believe its true calling is being a brew pub. Located in the Little Five Points neighborhood, the Wrecking Bar makes it own beer and serves some of the most ambitious bar food around. Try the white cheddar fondue, chicken livers pate or beef heart tartare, for starters. If you want something a little heavier, try the house cured and smoked pastrami or the mac ’n cheese with crispy pig ears.
- Porter Beer Bar. Also located in Little Five Points, Porter Beer Bar offers more than 800 beers and has been voted the best bar food by Creative Loafing. Among its offerings are goat cheese fritters, mussels, cauliflower almond falafel and a porn dog (house-smoked kabano sausage).
- The Lawrence. Located in Midtown, The Lawrence has a neighborhood feel with food to please everyone. Among the specials are the grilled zucchini & tomato sandwich, brisket sandwich, venison leg filet and coconut kashmiri octopus.
Once you're fed and having fun with friends, your night's just begun.
Journalist Mary Welch writes business and lifestyle stories for local and national publications.