The coming of cooler temperatures in Atlanta marks the end of patio season, yes? Well, not exactly. You can’t deny the prime selection of locales in the city with amenities to keep you and your date comfy and cozy during these fall and winter months. From crackling indoor fireplaces to the warm glow of an outdoor fire pit, these Atlanta restaurants and bars are keeping things hot, even when it’s not.
- Artmore Hotel – In between lapping up the boutique luxury accommodations at this Midtown home away from home, grab a drink at Studio Bar & Cocktail Lounge and take the party outside to the courtyard. The elements combine in the unique fountain/fire pit hybrid that emits flames and water to provide the perfect balance to cocktails under the night sky.
- Cypress Street Pint & Plate – Nothing gets the party going like ice cold craft beers and two-hand doughnut burgers. Yes, that's a thing. And you get all of this and more at Midtown's neighborhood bar, Cypress Street Pint & Plate. What's better is the patio fire pit perfect for warming up with friends after drinking said ice cold brews.
- Bartaco – Atlanta loves Bartaco. So much so that the Barcelona Wine Bar sister concept gave the city two more locations, in Buckhead and Inman Park. The vacation-like atmosphere and inviting outdoor fireplaces create a cozy bonfire situation under the ATL sky. Just bring on the fresh-squeezed margaritas and delicious tacos.
- Barcelona Wine Bar – Inman Park Spanish tapas standout, Barcelona Wine Bar, has an undeniable allure and cements the ATL outdoor fireplace scene. The cocktails, sangria and heaping bowls of savory paella amid the backdrop of one of our favorite neighborhoods make this an outdoor living room we all want to snuggle up in.
- Einstein's – While Midtown's Einstein's may be best known for its sprawling patio and offering one of the most delicious, if coma-inducing, brunches in Atlanta, the indoor vibe is definitely worth mentioning. The bar/lounge area has fireplace nestled in the middle and is perfect for warming your bones when things get too chilly outside.
- Joe's on Juniper – The party doesn't stop in Midtown, especially at the wildly popular Joe's on Juniper. If the rustic charm, tasty bar food and daily drink specials aren't enough to keep you snug as a bug in rug, the four, count 'em, four fireplaces inside will surely do the trick.
- King + Duke – King + Duke's Buckhead brilliance lies in its dedication to fire. Specifically, the 24-foot wood-burning hearth the restaurant uses to meticulously bathe meats and veggies with smoky, earthy flavor. And while there is a quaint outdoor fire pit that makes for prime people-watching and staying warm on fall/winter nights, the indoor hearth is what really brings the heat.
- Seven Lamps – Buckhead dining destination Seven Lamps is not only bringing the heat with deftly crafted cuisine and cocktails, but also on its patio. The semi-covered patio and fire pit is the perfect location to unwind with a glass of vino after a day of shopping till you drop at adjacent Lenox Mall and Phipps plaza.
- Park Tavern – Standing in the shadow of Piedmont Park, Park Tavern is brightening things up with the warm glow of outdoor fire pits and ice skating. After chilling things down on the rink (please, try not to fall), heat them up with open-fire s'mores and cocktails at the comfortably warm tented Midtown mainstay.
- Davio's – Davio's delivers big Italian flavors, pastas, steaks and wines that meld together superbly into a truly romantic dining experience. What some might miss is that the warmth extends to the covered exterior patio heated by a fire pit. It's like an outdoor sauna with protection from rainy and brisk elements.
Chris Watkins is an Atlanta-based freelance writer and photographer contributing to Jezebel Magazine, Tales of the Cocktail, Mode.com and also serves as the voice of the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau (@DiscoverAtlanta) on social media. You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram @christopherbw.