The Fox Theater in Atlanta is a restored movie palace turned cultural jewel; this National Historic Landmark holds a special place in Atlanta's heart. Originally intended to be the Yaarab Temple Shrine Mosque, the Fox Theater Atlanta welcomed movie audiences for the first time on Christmas Day, 1929. Although it enjoyed a successful career as a movie theater, the Fabulous Fox Theatre faced possible demolition until it was rescued by a nonprofit organization in the 1970s. Today, the Fox Theater Atlanta welcomes 750,000 visitors a year to over 300 performances and events.
Five Reasons to Visit the Fabulous Fox
- See a Show. Arguably the best live entertainment venue in Atlanta. The Fox Theatre serves up a full menu of live performances, ranging from dance to opera to Broadway shows to rock concerts. In December 2009, Billboard Magazine ranked the Fox Theatre in Atlanta as "The #1 non-residency venue worldwide for the decade (5,000 seats or less)."
- Catch a Flick. In addition to live entertainment, The Fox Theater shows movies! During the summer, a great way to beat the heat is the Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival, which features current and old films.
- Meet the Mo. The "Mighty Mo" is a pipe organ with 4,000 pipes. Built at a cost of $42,000 in 1929, the pipe organ was valued at $400,000 less than 50 years later. Audiences can hear the Fox's "Mighty Mo" before every Broadway performance, during the Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival and The Atlanta Ballet's Nutcracker.
- Party down. The Fox Theatre is a great venue for weddings, meetings, and parties. The Fox offers four different rooms to create your perfect Atlanta event which includes beverage service, a full-service kitchen, and more.
- Discover the Décor. Look up at the breathtaking blue ceiling that is twinkling with starlight and mysterious drifting clouds. One of the crystals in the ceiling is really a piece of a Coca-Cola bottle! The Moorish lobby and ballrooms will bring you back to the opulent 1920s, when extravagance and Egyptian influences were all the rage.
Insider Tips for the Fox Theatre
- The Fox offers tours! Call ahead for a schedule or see an usher to find out when the next tour of this incredible venue is.
- Buy tickets directly from the box office rather than a third party -you'll save processing fees.
- Need a cool Atlanta photography location? Contact the Fox and arrange a time where you can come by for a visit. They are very welcoming!
The Fox Theatre Contact Information
660 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
Fax: (404) 872-2972
Visit the site: www.foxtheatre.org
Find a Midtown hotel and an Atlanta restaurant near the Fox Theatre.
Click here for a complete list of Atlanta attractions.
Sign up for the free Atlanta e-newsletter!
What to Do
See a list of free & affordable attractions.
50 Fun Things
Squeeze 50 fun things to see and do into your