Labor Day celebrations bring to Atlanta Dragon Con, the AJC Decatur Book Festival, Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games and Black Gay Pride, among other huge events. If you are in Atlanta, taking a break from your labors, here’s a toast to all your hard work, along with suggestions for a Labor Day cocktail or two.
- Gin Zing. Sip this cocktail, made with gin, fresh mint, lemon and ginger beer, at the Twenty-Two Storys gastropub inside the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, the Dragon Con headquarters hotel.
- Afternoon Delight. Made with absinthe, grapefruit, tarragon, lime and cava, this cocktail harks back to famous writers sipping absinthe in dimly lit bars at 3 in the morning. Decatur’s Kimball House is where to find the Afternoon Delight, and Decatur, of course, is also the home of the huge and immensely popular Labor Day AJC Decatur Book Festival.
- Whiskey. One of two Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games this Labor Day pits Georgia Tech against Tennessee. As every Tech fan knows, ramblin’ wrecks from Georgia Tech drink their whiskey clear, so head to the Lobby Bar at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center and order your whiskey clear.
- The Livingston. Try this cocktail, made with Edgar’s Truth bourbon and infused with Southern tea leaves, muddled lemon and mint. Find it at the Livingston Restaurant + Bar inside the Georgian Terrace, host hotel for Labor Day weekend’s Black Gay Pride Festival.
Warm weather holidays frequently involve barbecue. If ‘cue is calling your name, here are some drinks to help wash down your pulled pork.
- Hog Tie Tea, made from Bombay Sapphire, Herradura Silver, Bacardi, Absolut citron, peach, lemonade and sweet tea. Find it at Smoke Ring.
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade. Smokebelly BBQ whips up this cocktail with citrus vodka, strawberries, basil and lemonade.
- The American Mule. Made from Atlanta’s own American Spirit Whiskey, ginger beer and fresh squeezed lime, order it with your ribs at Twin Smokers BBQ.
Since you’re in Atlanta for Labor Day, why not dine at one of Atlanta’s iconic restaurants and enjoy a signature drink along with your meal.
- Mary Mac’s Margarita, available at Mary Mac’s Tea Room, is made with Herradura Reposado estate grown 100-percent blue agave-aged tequila, Grand Marnier, peach schnapps, O.J. and a splash of sweet and sour, over the rocks.
- Scarlett’s Passion is on the menu at Pittypat’s Porch. Oh, Rhett, it's a frozen strawberry daiquiri.
Bonus: Since you’re having so much fun in the ATL, here are two more choices of drinks to celebrate this end-of-summer holiday.
- Georgia Forecast. 5Church restaurant blends this drink from Blanco tequila, passion fruit, house-made sour and muddled jalapeno.
- Fountain of Youth. It’s crafted from muddled cucumber, lemon juice, St. Germaine liqueur, Smirnoff vodka and topped with soda. The Federal serves it on the rocks in a highball glass with a cucumber spear as garnish.
Check this list for plenty of Labor Day events in the ATL.
Carol Carter writes and edits for Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau.